Search This Blog

Thursday, February 25, 2010

2/25/20 Psalm 22:14-15 Poured Out Like Wax

2/26- Psalm 22:14-15


14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint. My heart has turned to wax; it has melted away within me. 15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth; you lay me in the dust of death.

(Empty cistern in Meggiddo)


Thoughts: I am shriveling away into dust. My life is melting away. Dehydration often takes place in the midst of sickness, pain, and death. You can almost feel this person poured out, hot as liquid wax, and drying up. He is describing his human physical agony, but also his spiritual agony. We long for God as the deer longs for water; as someone in the desert longs for a drink; as someone who is dehydrated longs for energy and strength. I have had three heat strokes in my life, and all of them made me feel like what this writer describes- weak, dry, hot, sick. Sickness is, like pain, an alarm clock that something is not right. It helps us to cry out for help while we still can cry out. It is the foolish person who doesn’t call out to God for help when there is nowhere else to turn.



Prayer: In my sickness, hear my cry O Lord. Have mercy upon me.

No comments:

Post a Comment