Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

3/31/10 John 14:25-27 Prayer in Gethsemane

3/31- John 14:25-27; Luke 22:39-46


25 "All this I have spoken while still with you. 26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. Luke 22: 39 Jesus went out as usual to the Mount of Olives, and his disciples followed him. 40 On reaching the place, he said to them, "Pray that you will not fall into temptation." 41 He withdrew about a stone's throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, 42 "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." 43 An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. 44 And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground. 45 When he rose from prayer and went back to the disciples, he found them asleep, exhausted from sorrow. 46 "Why are you sleeping?" he asked them. "Get up and pray so that you will not fall into temptation."



Thoughts: This prayer in the garden of Gethsemane (the garden of the “Olive Press”), we hear the prayer of suffering. It is the prayer that we must pray- “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” In sickness, we want for God to heal us, but God is God and we are not. We must reconcile ourselves that we need to submit to God’s plan and way for our lives. When we can do that, we can find his peace- a peace the world does not give. If we believe God loves us, then we do not need to let our hearts be troubled or be afraid. In Jesus suffering and sorrow, even he and the disciples were tempted (he invited them to “pray that they would not fall into temptation”). Temptation comes when we know we are about to suffer (like before a surgery, or a treatment). In such a time we need to pray earnestly, call for prayers by those around us (as Jesus did), and submit to God’s will.

Prayer: Lord, deliver me from temptation and from my selfishness. In my life, Lord, not my will, but yours be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment