Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

3/4/10 Psalm 42:1-5 Our Deep Longing

3/4- Psalm 42:1-5


As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. 2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God? 3 My tears have been my food day and night, while men say to me all day long, "Where is your God?" 4 These things I remember as I pour out my soul: how I used to go with the multitude, leading the procession to the house of God, with shouts of joy and thanksgiving among the festive throng. 5 Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.

Thoughts: Our true relief, our true satisfaction is not found in something that will temporarily relieve our itch- our pain. Our soul- the deepest part of us thirsts for more than physical healing. When we are in pain, this Psalmist reminds us, unbelievers may ask where our God is now. To them, the existence of pain means the non-existence of God. But, as you have glimpsed, God came down to experience pain, to understand pain; He gives us reasons to fight human evil and pain; And one day evil and pain will come to an end. To the unbeliever there is no ultimate good in pain or in life, and they would like for you to experience their chaos (“Where is your God?”). But their rantings push us to want God all the more. Here the Psalmist reminisces about how he used to be in worship leading people, but now he cannot. He hopes to get well so that praises may come out of his mouth in the assembly again. It is amazing to me when someone is healed miraculously that they would drop out of church- but that happens- and happens often. We so easily forget… until we are sick again. God gives us life, and He is worthy of our worship.



Prayer: My soul longs for you, Lord. My tears are all I have eaten, nourish me with your presence, satisfy me with your never-ending love.

No comments:

Post a Comment