Search This Blog

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Psalm 69:1-3; Mt. 14:29-31 A cry for help

3/5- Psalm 69:1-3


1 Save me, O God, for the waters have come up to my neck. 2 I sink in the miry depths, where there is no foothold. I have come into the deep waters; the floods engulf me. 3 I am worn out calling for help; my throat is parched. My eyes fail, looking for my God.

Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!" 31Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?"  (Matthew 14:29-31)


Thoughts: Peterson says, “Focused prayer is accurate and clear about two things: that our need is desperate, and that the remedy lies in God. Our need for help and God’s will to save are joined.”
Healing begins when our attention turns away from distractions and turns toward the One who comes to save us. God comes in the nick of time to save the day- when we are worn out with no more strength.  Peter echoed Psalm 69 in his cry for help in the midst of being overwhelmed.  Jesus did not falter, but despite Peter's doubt reached out his hand and saved him.

Prayer: Lord, my need is great, and your salvation is greater. Help me to remember you when my strength fails.


No comments:

Post a Comment