Search This Blog

Friday, March 5, 2010

Psalm 69:13-17 Jesus saves

3/6- Psalm 69:13-17


13 But I pray to you, O LORD, in the time of your favor; in your great love, O God,

answer me with your sure salvation. 14 Rescue me from the mire, do not let me sink; deliver me from those who hate me, from the deep waters. 15 Do not let the floodwaters engulf me or the depths swallow me up or the pit close its mouth over me. 16 Answer me, O LORD, out of the goodness of your love; in your great mercy turn to me. 17 Do not hide your face from your servant; answer me quickly, for I am in trouble.



Thoughts: Jesus walked on the water, Peter started to, but sank. He called out “Lord save me!” Jesus reached out his hand and caught him and said “You of little faith, why did you doubt?” (Mt 14:29-31). When we call out to God, He hears our call.  The basic belief is that God is alive and able to hear us, and then able to help us (Heb. 11:6).  But Jesus is also able to save us- not only from physical danger, but spiritual danger.  The salvation from our sins is a calling out to Him to forgive us for our failures and the wrongness that separates us from God.  He will save if we call to Him (and He prompts the call).  Jesus has saves us by what He has done on the cross- dying as a sacrifice for our sins.  In some ways he saved us before hte creation of the world (Predestination Eph. 1:6); In another way he saved us by dying on the cross; In another way he saves us when we ask Him to (Justification); In another way we are growing in our salvation (sanctification- Phil. 2:12); but we won't really be saved until we get to heaven (glorification- Rev. 21). 


We forget that the whale was a means to save Jonah, and Jonah 2 sounds eerily similar to this passage: “All your waves and breakers swept over me. I said I have been banished from your sight…the engulfing waters threatened me…when my life was ebbing away, I remembered you.” When our faith and strength is weak because of doubt (as Peter) or because of disobedience (as Jonah), the grace of God and the salvation of God is still there for us.

Prayer: Do not let me, Lord be engulfed by my circumstances. Help me to remember you are God of all, and able to calm the storm, walk on water, and rescue me.



(Jesus rescuing Peter)

No comments:

Post a Comment