Search This Blog

Saturday, April 3, 2010

4/3- Easter Eve- Bury Our Weakness in God's Power

4/3- Great Vigil of Easter I Corinthians 12:7-10


(Rembrandt, descent from the cross- pictured himself in the picture)

Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.



Thoughts: It is comforting to know that even the great apostle Paul had difficulties that stuck with him. There are different theories about what this thorn was, but I think it had something to do with his eyes, for he appears to have had vision trouble throughout his life. He prayed for relief- over and over, but did not get it. His thorn in the flesh was not removed, but festered, reminding him that this life is temporary, and giving him more cause to long for heaven and the redemption of his body. But Paul recognized that when he was weakest, he was able to see Christ’s strength more clearly. He delighted that God used him despite his weakness. On this day in which we remember Christ’s burial, let us bury our weakness in the power of God, as a seed is buried in the ground in hopes of the resurrection.



Prayer: Take my thorn, O Lord. But if not, take my weakness and show your great strength. May you be glorified through my pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment