Search This Blog

Sunday, May 23, 2010

5/23/10- Prayer Early in the Morning

32 That evening after sunset the people brought to Jesus all the sick and demon-possessed. 33 The whole town gathered at the door, 34 and Jesus healed many who had various diseases. He also drove out many demons, but he would not let the demons speak because they knew who he was. 35 Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed. 36 Simon and his companions went to look for him, 37 and when they found him, they exclaimed: "Everyone is looking for you!" 38 Jesus replied, "Let us go somewhere else—to the nearby villages—so I can preach there also. That is why I have come." 39 So he traveled throughout Galilee, preaching in their synagogues and driving out demons.
(Mark 1:32-39)

It is Pentecost- Time to remember the birthday of the Church- and the Spirit's coming

John Calvin: There maybe two reasons why Jesus did not permit the devils to speak (vs. 34): 1) Because the time of his full revelation had not yet come; and 2) that he refused to have as witnesses and herlads to his divinity those who would soil and injure his character. [Calvin encouraged prayer in the morning, at meals, and in the evening before bed]


One of my most used verses in the Bible is verse 35.  Jesus had stayed up after sunset- late- healing people. I am sure it was very wearing and stressful to Him.  Yet He still made time to get up and pray by himself before the next day.  In some ways this is why I write this blog fresh every morning- and why I would encourage people to read it.  The term "quiet time" is used to describe time alone with God.  The great news about computers and the internet is there are thousands of devotionals out there.  Basically I am writing my daily devotional and thoughts down for everyone to see.  My personal stuff and personal prayers are added to what you see.  David also said, "O Lord in the morning will I direct my prayer to you and will look up." I will never forget my first trip to Israel.  One of the most moving experiences ever in my life was getting up before sunrise at the Sea of Galilee and recalling this verse- seeing the same basic sunrise and landscape Jesus saw- and experiencing His presence anew.

Prayer: Help me, Lord to see the importance of praying to you- even in the midst of my busy-ness.  Give me grace to see that all time is yours and to seek you first in my day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment