Search This Blog

Sunday, October 10, 2010

10-10-10 Fun on the Number Ten

The Ten I AM's of Jesus in John


1. "I am the Bread of Life" (6:35).

2. "I am the Bread of Life which came down from heaven" (6:41).

3. "I am the Living Bread" (6:51).

4. "I am the Light of the world" (8:12).

5. "I am One that bear witness of Myself" (8:18).

6. "I am the Door of the sheep" (10:7,9).

7. "I am the Good Shepherd" (10:14).

8. "I am the Resurrection and the Life" (14:6).

9. "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life" (14:6).

10. "I am the True Vine" (15:1,5).

(Ten Virgins- Franken 1680)

Thoughts: Okay, it's 10-10-10.  Today my worship service is at 10:00.  Today Jericho, the oldest city in the world (which I visited in June- where Zaccheus lived, Elijah and Elishah prophesied, the blind man was healed by the road) is celebrating its 10,000th birthday.  The number 10 generally symbolizes completeness. Noah was the tenth generation; there were ten commandments; ten virgins were looking for the bridegoom's coming; Psalm 119 is divided into ten parts-clearly on purpose; We are called to give a tenth (tithe) back to God- representing he owns the whole. 
     Some say that ten represents human failure and God's provision (http://www.bible-history.com/tabernacle/TAB4Numbers_and_Scripture.htm).  Of the twelve spies sent- ten failed;  Of the twelve tribes- ten rebelled against God and failed first (1 Ki 11:31); There were ten lepers cured (only 1 gave thanks). |
     I think this is a bit contrived.  Completeness (7 x 3) seems to be a bit clearer- Rev. 2:10 10,000 times 10,000 angels; The dragon in Revelation had ten horns representing ten kingdoms over the whole earth (12:3; 13:1; 17:12).
     In our culture ten also symbolizes completeness.  So we have our top ten; on a scale of one to ten- ten being the highest; the perfect ten; In our decimal system we have numbers in increments of ten.  
     Numerology in scripture can easily get carried away.  Yet clearly numbers were used on occasion symbolically.  So we are called not to miss the significance.  Just a thought. 
 
Prayer: Lord, you are the only perfect ten.  In you there is completeness.  I am complete when I am fully with you. 

http://www.biblestudy.org/bibleref/meaning-of-numbers-in-bible/10.html
http://www.oudesporen.nl/Download/HB329.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment