Search This Blog

Monday, December 6, 2010

12/7/10- Luke 1:46-49 Mindful of the Humble

46 And Mary said: “My soul glorifies the Lord 47 and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
48 for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, 49 for the Mighty One has done great things for me— holy is his name.




Thoughts: God is mindful of those who serve Him humbly.  This goes against what we think, and see. We are told that people are favored who blow their own horn, who speak up for themselves.  Mary's son would later say, "He who wants to be first must be last" (Mk. 9:35).  It is not the celebrities on television who will be remembered forever, but the ones who do God's work silently and faithfully.  We glorify God best not by being great for Him, but by being faithful to Him whether we are noticed or not. 

Prayer: Help me Lord, to glorify you in my faithfulness and steady love for you.  Forgive me when I also elevate those who do not humbly serve you. 

John Calvin abridged:  Hypocrites praise God with the mouth but not the heart- but Mary praises Him from her inmost soul.  Usually soul and spirit refer to the same inner heart, but when together spirit speaks of understanding, and soul of affection.  Mary disclaimed her own merit and claimed God's grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment