Search This Blog

Thursday, February 10, 2011

2/11/13 John 5:7-9 Moving By Faith

7 “Sir,” the invalid replied, “I have no one to help me into the pool when the water is stirred. While I am trying to get in, someone else goes down ahead of me.” 8 Then Jesus said to him, “Get up! Pick up your mat and walk.” 9 At once the man was cured; he picked up his mat and walked.

(Healing at Bethesda- Bartolome Esteban Murillo 1667-70)

Thoughts: The cure did not happen as the invalid thought.  The invalid was still frustrated, feeling he was stuck in a never ending problem.  Jesus called him to do the unthinkable by faith.  The man tried, and found that he could.  It is the same with us.  The world will tell us we are inadequate, not good enough.  But Jesus tells us to not be paralyzed but move forward. 

Prayer:  Help me to move forward in life by faith in you.  Keep me from being paralyzed by my own inabilities and inadequacies. 

John Calvin Abridged: The man does what any of us would do: limit the abilities of God to his own thoughts.  This example should teach us patience as thirty-eight years is a long time.  Let us, then, bear with patience the problems we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment