Search This Blog

Friday, March 25, 2011

3/26/11 John 12:21-26 Unless a Kernel Falls

“Sir,” they said, “we would like to see Jesus.” 22 Philip went to tell Andrew; Andrew and Philip in turn told Jesus.
23 Jesus replied, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. 24 Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. 25 Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life. 26 Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me.




Thoughts: The Greeks had asked to see Jesus, and Jesus reply seems a little strange for he talks about his death.  It would be like someone saying, "May I see Larry?" and Larry's reply would be, "I'm getting ready to die."  Jesus was basically saying that the time of people just coming up to see him, He also tried to tell his disciples that he must die in order to bear fruit.  Death for the Christian is not just being buried it is like being planted.  Unless a seed is planted it will not begin to bear fruit.  To follow Christ means to die to self.  While death is our enemy- and Jesus wept at the death of Lazarus, God uses this enemy as a toll to accomplish His purpose.  He knew His kingdom was not of this world.  He also tried to encourage his disciples not to hold on too tightly to this life. 

Prayer: Lord, help me to let go of this life, and to cling to you.

John Calvin Abridged: "The hour has come" probably does not refer to Christ's death bu to the spreading of the Gospel. We ought to despise our life whenever it hinders our relationship with God.  He demans that His subjects not refuse to submit to death following His example.

No comments:

Post a Comment