Search This Blog

Friday, April 1, 2011

4/2/11 John 13:6-10 Jesus Serves Us

6 He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, “Lord, are you going to wash my feet?”
7 Jesus replied, “You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand.”
8 “No,” said Peter, “you shall never wash my feet.”
Jesus answered, “Unless I wash you, you have no part with me.”
9 “Then, Lord,” Simon Peter replied, “not just my feet but my hands and my head as well!”
10 Jesus answered, “Those who have had a bath need only to wash their feet; their whole body is clean. And you are clean, though not every one of you.” 11 For he knew who was going to betray him, and that was why he said not every one was clean.

(Jesus Washing the Disciples' Feet- James J. Tissot)


Thoughts: The washing of the feet was a symbol of the washing of the soul from sin.  Unless Jesus serves us (especially on the cross) we can't be a part of Him.  Jesus served us by coming down from heaven to earth.  He served us by healing the sick, by teaching us how to live.  He served us by his sacrificial death on the cross.  Unless we allow the God of the universe to serve us, then we are left in our sin.  Jesus also sets us an example to serve others too.  As He humbled himself, we should humble ourselves. Jesus shows us the full extent of his love in that He serves us. 


Prayer: Thank you for your service to me.  Help me to serve others by your grace and strength.

John Calvin Abridged: Peter's modesty would be commendable, except that obedience is of greater importance than modesty.  We are taught to obey Christ even if we do not perceive the reason why.

No comments:

Post a Comment