Search This Blog

Sunday, April 3, 2011

4/4/11 John 13:18-21 Betrayal Predicted

18 “I am not referring to all of you; I know those I have chosen. But this is to fulfill this passage of Scripture: ‘He who shared my bread has turned against me.’19 “I am telling you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe that I am who I am. 20 Very truly I tell you, whoever accepts anyone I send accepts me; and whoever accepts me accepts the one who sent me.” 21 After he had said this, Jesus was troubled in spirit and testified, “Very truly I tell you, one of you is going to betray me.”

(Last Supper- Judas leaving; Karl Henry Bloch 19th century)


Thoughts: Jesus quotes Psalm 41:9 which is a prophecy of betrayal of the king.  He also prophecies more specifically and measurably that Judas would betray Him.  He says he is telling this ahead of time so that they would not surprised, and that they would believe in his divinity.  Jesus affirms that He is sending them out as the Father sent Him out.  Jesus sends us out into the world.  Sometimes we are accepted, sometimes we may be betrayed.  But we are still called to go.

Prayer: Help me, OLord, to be loyal to you.  Keep me from betraying you, but instead help me to serve you.


John Calvin Abridged: One among them is the very reverse of a disciple.  He encourages them to persevere in their calling even when Judas falls away.  He attributes their perseverance to their election.  For if God did not choose us, we would blow away like the leaves in the wind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment