Search This Blog

Thursday, April 7, 2011

4/8/11 John 14:1-4 You may be also

 1 “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. 2 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4 You know the way to the place where I am going.”


(1897 Unknown artist of Bible placard)

Thoughts: Jesus is giving his explanation of the meaning of his death (his eschatology).  His death is in order to help us.  He is the One who is about to suffer, yet His concern is that we not be troubled but be comforted.  Heaven is where Christ is.  Hell is where God is not present at all. 

Prayer: May my heart long to be where you are, Lord. 

John Calvin abridged: Christ has a good reason to encourage his disciples for they are about to suffer a terrible test.  He not only tells them to be steadfast as they witness the terror of the cross, but also tells them where to go for courage- in their faith.  He holds himself out as the object of our faith (believe in God, believe in me).  Christ did not want them to think that when he ascended into heaven he did not think of them any more.  There is room for them and many more where He is going.  Christ did not ascend to heaven to dwell there alone; rather it is a common inheritance for all of us who believe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment