Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

6/23/11 2nd Commandment- The foolishness of idolatry

Eph 5:5 (NIV) For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person--such a man is an idolater--has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

(Painting an Idol in India)


But he also fashions a god and worships it; he makes an idol and bows down to it. 16 Half of the wood he burns in the fire; over it he prepares his meal, he roasts his meat and eats his fill. He also warms himself and says,  “Ah! I am warm; I see the fire.” 17 From the rest he makes a god, his idol; he bows down to it and worships. He prays to it and says, “Save me! You are my god!” 18 They know nothing, they understand nothing; their eyes are plastered over so they cannot see, and their minds closed so they cannot understand. 19 No one stops to think, no one has the knowledge or understanding to say, “Half of it I used for fuel; I even baked bread over its coals, I roasted meat and I ate. Shall I make a detestable thing from what is left?  Shall I bow down to a block of wood?” (Isaiah 44:15-20)
Thoughts: Isaiah points out several weaknesses in idolatry.  We fashion the God (instead of God fashioning us); From the same wood we burn we make a god; to bow down, giving our lives to a lifeless thing is ignorant.  Ephesians 5 points out that greed is a form of idolatry- that elevates our desire for lifeless things over the life-giving God.  While not all idolatry is greed, certainly greed is a form of idolatry.  But perhaps the major disadvantage to idolatry is it steers us away from the true God and therefore from His dwelling place. 

Prayer: Free me from the desire for happiness found in the things of this world.  Help my heart to long for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment