Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

6/30/11 Law and freedom

“Therefore this is what the LORD says: You have not obeyed me; you have not proclaimed freedom to your own people. So I now proclaim ‘freedom’ for you, declares the LORD—‘freedom’ to fall by the sword, plague and famine. I will make you abhorrent to all the kingdoms of the earth. (Jer. 34:17)

“The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free; (Lk. 4:18)
(Statue of Liberty and fireworks)

Thoughts: People want freedom- and we celebrate it this week.  But there is a link between law and freedom. Jeremiah speaks of an obedience that sets them free.  Jeremiah asked the king to set the Israelite slaves free according to the Law of Moses.  This is a physical illustration of a spiritual truth: the Law limits our captivity to sin.  But grace frees us from our captivity.  The Law limited the captivity of the slaves.  But Christ came to set them free.  The Law limits our sin, but Christ came to forgive us erasing our sin altogether. When we refuse freedom to others, then God sets us free from His protection.  When we refuse to obey God's freeing law, God sets us free from His blessing.  On this week in which most Americans celebrate freedom, let us celebrate our ultimate freedom- in Christ. 

Prayer: Help me to see and appreciate the freedom you offer me.

No comments:

Post a Comment