Search This Blog

Thursday, September 8, 2011

9/9/11 Hope Among Ruins

19 I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall.
20 I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me.
21 Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope:

22 Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.
23 They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
24 I say to myself, “The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.”

(Pentagon building showing destruction from Flight 77 that hit the building 9-11-01)

Thoughts: Today heard Eddy Morehead, a Clemson graduate who was a colonel serving in an office next to the wedge that was hit by flight 77.  He was awarded the Soldier's Medal for his continued efforts to rescue his colleagues.  He kept going back into a hole made by the nose of the plane- filled with fire from the jet fuel to try to help others. 
    Jeremiah was a survivor, though he saw many who died.  He was not wrong to thank God for helping him survive.  If God saves anyone from anything- it is not because we deserve it, but because of God's mercy.  Many survivors testify that they could have easily been on the most dangerous level, but they left just before the plane hit (as Mr. Morehead said today).  It is not an evil or wrong thing to be thankful that God has done something for you that has not been done for everyone else.  Not everyone is blessed in the same way.  We are called to see and appreciate the Lord's faithfulness and blessings to us-- even in the midst of sadness around us.

Prayer: You are worthy of my thanks for your faithfulness and compassion, O Lord.  Help me to perceive my need for gratitude. 







No comments:

Post a Comment