Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

9/22/11 False Prophet

If a prophet, or one who foretells by dreams, appears among you and announces to you a sign or wonder, 2 and if the sign or wonder spoken of takes place, and the prophet says, “Let us follow other gods” (gods you have not known) “and let us worship them,” 3 you must not listen to the words of that prophet or dreamer. The LORD your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and with all your soul. 4 It is the LORD your God you must follow, and him you must revere. Keep his commands and obey him; serve him and hold fast to him. 5 That prophet or dreamer must be put to death for inciting rebellion against the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt and redeemed you from the land of slavery. That prophet or dreamer tried to turn you from the way the LORD your God commanded you to follow. You must purge the evil from among you. (Dt. 13:1-5)

(William B. Hole- Elijah on mt. Carmel)


 17 The LORD said to me: “What they say is good. 18 I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their fellow Israelites, and I will put my words in his mouth. He will tell them everything I command him. 19 I myself will call to account anyone who does not listen to my words that the prophet speaks in my name. 20 But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, is to be put to death.” (Dt. 18:17-20)

Thoughts: The tests of a false prophet are given here.  They are given for every age, and thus also apply to us.  Here are some of the signs of a false prophet:
1) They may encourage you to worship other gods (13:2).
2) They use sorcery and occult (18)
3) They speak in the name of other gods (18:20)
Another test is whether what they say comes true or not.  If it does not, such a person is a false prophet, and should not have presumed to speak in God's name when they did not.
In contrast to the false prophet is the true prophet- Moses.  He speak and lives in holy ways.  When John the Baptist and Jesus came on the sceen- some thought John or Jesus was the prophet.  It is very important to be able to discern who is a true and false prophet these days.

Prayer: May I hear and respond to true words, following you only, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment