Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

9/28/11 Angry at the Good Because of the Bad

17 After this the son of the woman, the mistress of the house, became ill; his illness was so severe that there was no breath left in him. 18 She then said to Elijah, "What have you against me, O man of God? You have come to me to bring my sin to remembrance, and to cause the death of my son!" 19 But he said to her, "Give me your son." He took him from her bosom, carried him up into the upper chamber where he was lodging, and laid him on his own bed. 20 He cried out to the LORD, "O LORD my God, have you brought calamity even upon the widow with whom I am staying, by killing her son?" 21 Then he stretched himself upon the child three times, and cried out to the LORD, "O LORD my God, let this child's life come into him again." 22 The LORD listened to the voice of Elijah; the life of the child came into him again, and he revived. 23 Elijah took the child, brought him down from the upper chamber into the house, and gave him to his mother; then Elijah said, "See, your son is alive." 24 So the woman said to Elijah, "Now I know that you are a man of God, and that the word of the LORD in your mouth is truth. (1 Kings 17:17-23)

(Elijah presents the son to the widow- Louis Hersent d. 1860)


Thoughts: In her distress, the widow forgot God's blessings and even accused Elijah of coming to hurt her son. But God did not send Elijah to her to hurt her.  She had forgotten that because of Elijah she and her son were saved from the famine.  Perhaps it is because of our selfish nature that we quickly turn away from the good when bad things happen.  But it is only God and His goodness that can help us in the bad times.  Too many get angry at the good side of life because of the bad things in life.  Specifically, too many today get angry at God when bad things happen.  Anger at God keeps us from finding God as our refuge and calling out to Him in prayer. The woman here overcame her anger by listening to Elijah.  She gave him her son and he raised him by prayer.  So we are to give our situations to God, and let Him help us.  God is able to bring life and hope when there is none without Him. 

Prayer: God, give me grace and peace to overcome my anger and commit my problem and myself to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment