Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

11/2/11 Hosea 11:1-11 As a Father Loves His Son

1 “When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son.
2 But the more they were called, the more they went away from me.
They sacrificed to the Baals and they burned incense to images.
3 It was I who taught Ephraim to walk, taking them by the arms;
but they did not realize it was I who healed them.
4 I led them with cords of human kindness, with ties of love.
To them I was like one who lifts a little child to the cheek, and I bent down to feed them.
5 “Will they not return to Egypt and will not Assyria rule over them because they refuse to repent?
6 A sword will flash in their cities; it will devour their false prophets and put an end to their plans.
7 My people are determined to turn from me. Even though they call me God Most High,
I will by no means exalt them.
8 “How can I give you up, Ephraim? How can I hand you over, Israel?
How can I treat you like Admah? How can I make you like Zeboyim?
My heart is changed within me; all my compassion is aroused.
9 I will not carry out my fierce anger, nor will I devastate Ephraim again.
For I am God, and not a man— the Holy One among you. I will not come against their cities.
10 They will follow the LORD; he will roar like a lion. When he roars,
his children will come trembling from the west.
11 They will come from Egypt, trembling like sparrows, from Assyria, fluttering like doves.
I will settle them in their homes,” declares the LORD.



Thoughts: Here the Lord through Hosea shifts his focus.  Israel is no longer seen as an adulterous wife, but a son that the Lord birthed and cared for.  He claims to love him, raise him, but the son runs away from home and does not come back (like a prodigal son).  There is a sense in which God loves all people- creating all of us.  But there is also a sense in which we run away from God and do not come back.   This passage is a reminder that God so loved the world, and we who do not come back to God stand condemned already (John 3:16-18). 

Prayer: May I nt doubt your love for me, Lord.  May I always come back to you, and may I be a beacon that points people to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment