Search This Blog

Sunday, December 18, 2011

12/19/11- Messiah Prophesied to Teach in Parables

12/19- Day 23- Light four candles.  The Messiah would teach in parables Psalm 78:2; Matthew 13:34

1 My people, hear my teaching; listen to the words of my mouth. 2 I will open my mouth with a parable; I will utter hidden things, things from of old— 3 things we have heard and known, things our ancestors have told us.
(Psalm 78:2)

34 Jesus spoke all these things to the crowd in parables; he did not say anything to them without using a parable. 35 So was fulfilled what was spoken through the prophet: “I will open my mouth in parables, I will utter things hidden since the creation of the world.”  (Matthew 13:34)

(Jesus teaching in the Temple- James J. Tissot)

Thoughts: Even the method and manner of Jesus’ teaching was prophesied.  Jesus was a master story- teller, and he most often used a parable to tell the story he needed to hear.  Telling a story in a parable much like telling a story in a ballad or song- it is more easily remembered.  The Good Samaritan, the Prodigal Son, and the Parable of the Talents are simply literary masterpieces.  Jesus accommodated his stories to put them on the same level his hearers were on. So we should keep the faithful message but tell it using the means available to us (the web, facebook, blogs, dvd, new kinds of song etc.) to get the life-saving parables out to others.

Prayer: The message is more important than the medium.  Give me a heart to tell others your good news.

Today I found a list of messianic prophecies.  It is really encouraging: http://www.shalach.org/PropheciesTable/prophecieslst1.htm




(The Good Samaritan- Aime Moret 1880)

No comments:

Post a Comment